Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS!

Rocks, Rocks, Rocks!

I have always had a fascination with rocks. Especially BIG SQUARE rocks. Everywhere I go on vacations and the like…I take pictures of rocks (and squirrels and sheep and horses and donkeys)…

Recently, in a search of my ancestry I found out that I am from a line of quarry men. So far we have found five generations of quarriers who were also stone cutters and carvers.

The actual quarrying ended with my Great-Grandpa “Jack” John Livingston, but in fact, lives on in the hearts of my Grandfather and Father, as they have always been rock hounds. At 87 my grandfather teaches lapidary to people in his clubhouse where he lives.

When coming home from places I often hear in the customs inspection “Are those really rocks?” Yes, they are. I bring home suitcases full of rocks.

Below are some of the pictures I have taken in places around the world (in the last year) of rocks I found fascinating.

I have also included some fascinating use of rocks. Of course since I love castles, chateaus, cathedrals, tombstones and the like, all made out of giant stone, I have way too many to use here and I’ll save those for another day.


Bend, OR













Dunloe Gap, Ireland














Lyons, CO











Isle of Friol off the Coast of Marseille, France




Great things made from cool stone

Dingle, Ireland




Bricin Bridge, Killarney, Ireland



Steps at Powerscourt Gardens, Bray, Ireland




St. Jean Tower, Chateau Touffou, Bonnes, France




Keep, Chateau Touffou, Bonnes, France




Old house, Ring of Kerry, Ireland




Walkway, La Rochelle, France




Memorial off hidden path, Killarney, Ireland




Sandstone sidewalk, Lyons, CO




Trinity Church, Denver, CO







1 comment: