Friday, February 6, 2009

Jimmy Buffett & Rum

OK. I fess up. There may not end up being anything in this post about rum other than this. All I know about run is if you drink too much of it you might try to climb on the horse and sit with El Cid in Baloboa Park and barf up a perfectly good salmon dinner (the pink never comes out of the cream Berber carpet)…. but Jimmy Buffett & Riesling just doesn’t sound right.


I am a PARROTHEAD

“Parrot Head or Parrothead is a commonly used nickname for fans of Jimmy Buffett. "Parakeets" is the term used for younger fans of Jimmy, or children of Parrotheads. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrothead)”



Here is the URL to the Parrot Head Webring so you can keep up with all things Jimmy Buffett. http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Lagoon/3292/Parrot.htm





There are a lot of cool charity things going on at the Parrot Heads In Paradise.
http://www.phip.com/




My favorite songs mostly seem to be on “Son Of A Son Of A Sailor”, which I had to order on CD because it is so old (which makes me so old). Originally I had it on a dark blue cassette tape, which I still have in a box somewhere but have nothing that will play it. Specifically I wanted "Coast of Marseilles" as I had just come back from there and it is just as advertised. I often wonder if he was out on Friol Island. Also, my all time favorite JB song is “African Friend" which is also on that album. Ackkk..CD.




I am very fond of “A Pirate Looks At Forty” Which is on several CD’s. I have it on “Songs You Know By Heart.” And I do…know them by heart.




According to “Cheeseburger In Paradise” a cool draft beer is acceptable Buffett refreshment. On that topic I shall ramble over to give a short review on some draft beers I had at the Bingo Biker Bar the other night.


Since I believe you should start with something you like to put you in a good frame I started with a Hef, you can read about Hef in the Bingo, Bars & Bad Fairies post. I was getting adventurous and since the Snow Cap, which is a seasonal beer put out by Pyramid was dropping off the tap the next day, decided despite the warning of the bartender, to give it a try. Should have listened to him. I really like Pyramid’s Apricot Ale and they make a good Hef. The Snow Cap was a little weird. Dark-ish, not too dark, and had this kind of banana sweet hint to it. I like bananas but not so much in beer. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it either.


Next I had a Ninkasi IPA. I have read a bunch about Ninkasi lately but had not tried one of their beers. The IPA was nice. Fairly uncomplicated like an IPA should be. A little malty and orange, not too bitter. It went well with BBQ ribs and Blues Night.


The other offering they had on the board was “Power & Pibb”. I thought it might be a beer…and something? Glad I asked. Whiskey and Mr. Pibb (a Dr. Pepper tasting substance). YIKES…..My Irish ancestors are shaking a finger…..One should not do that to whiskey. Humm.. Come to think of it I have tried that with RUM! That’s what inspired me to try and ride with El Cid. (I believe that attempt was thwarted by law enforcement.)






<--------El Cid
Bottom line. If you drink all the beer and all the rum and the whiskey & Pibb…. Watch out for that other most famous Jimmy Buffett song…..because some guy is bound to ask…Hey baby “Why Don’t We Get Drunk”……(You can read the rest of that song title for yourself J) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Don%27t_We_Get_Drunk

I am now going to confuse my coworkers by wandering away with my hands over my head pretending to be a land shark while singing “Fins”.

Possibly, since it is me, they will not be confused at all………………………..

No comments:

Post a Comment